This is the temae used for placing charcoal in to the Furo or Ro. In the summer season it is normally done after the Kaiseki food has been served, while in the Ro season it is done right after the Aisatsu and before serving the Kaiseki.
There are some variations of this Temae depending on circumstances and so forth:
- Shozumi Tana –
Shozumi Hakobi –
Bonkogo – When you have a special Kogo with a story.
- Sumi shomo – Asking the guests to place the sumi.
- Ryurei Shozumi –
All the rest of the utensils should or may be asked about at an appropriate moment during the temae. Some minor utensils may be left for Gozumi If Shokyaku is fairly sure there will be Gozumi.
Dialog for Shozumi
(if it is furo, after last Kaiseki tray is taken out; if it is ro, just after aisatsu
Teishu turns to sit in door (setting the kaiseki tray out of sight) and says
- I would like to set the charcoal.
- SUMI O SASETE ITADAKIMASU （炭をさせて頂きます）
bows and closes door.
With sumitori to pillar, Teishu opens door and all bow. Proceed with appropriate sumi temae.
Shokyaku should make appreciative remarks and ask about utensils during temae. Shokyaku:
- Please tell us about the kettle. Who made it? (etc. and comments)
- O-KAMA WA? （お釜は？）
- This is a・・・, and was made by・・・
- KORE WA・・・-GAMA.・・O-SAKU WA・・DE GOZAIMASU
- kettle (kama)- its shape (katachi), konomi, design or surface (jimon or hada), lugs (kantsuki)
- What is the・・・・・・・・?
- It is / They are・・・・・・・・・.
In order of use or touch:
(When the temae is done, Teishu puts the lid on the incense container.) Shokyaku:
- Please let us take a closer look at the incense container.
- O-KOGO NO HAIKEN O（お香合の拝見を）
Kogo is placed out at the usual place and left for haiken. In small rooms, a zabouki is used. If used, the kettle lid is left closed until the Teishu returns. Haiken starts.
The incense container is returned.
Shokyaku asks about the container. Shokyaku:
- Please tell us about the incense container.
- O-KOGO WA? （お香合は？）
- It is・・(ceramic or lacquer type, shape, konomi, etc.)
- ・. ・・DE GOZAIMASU （・・・でございます）
- And the maker?
- O-SAKU WA? （お作は？）
- It was made / lacquered by・・・
- ・・・saku de gozaimasu（・・・作でございます）
If it is Ro season, the komei, the name of the icense blend will be requested as may be the Komoto, who made the ko
All bow and then, in door
- Thank you very much
- ARIGATO GOZAIMASHITA （有り難うございました）
- It was my pleasure.
- SHITSUREI ITASHIMASHITA 失礼致しました）
Teishu closes door